Tech’s Diversity Problem
The current makeup of the tech industry fails to represent the cultural makeup and trends of Austin, Texas and the United States as a whole. Our world is becoming more diverse by the day, and as tech plays an increasingly important role in shaping it, the tech workforce should represent this shift. Austin Coding Academy is committed to a diverse and representative tech workforce for the future.
Implications for the Future
The tech industry is instrumental in driving changes in our everyday life – from social networking, to smart homes and cars, to creating solutions to the biggest challenges we face in society. A tech workforce that truly represents how diverse we are, makes sure that all perspectives are considered in the solutions that we create.
What We’re Doing to Help
Since being founded in 2014, Austin Coding Academy has maintained a commitment to accessibility and affordability. Our Diversity Scholarship is another effort to make sure that we are promoting accessibility and diversity in tech, by making our transformative education available to even more well-qualified candidates.
About this Scholarship
Now Accepting Applications
November 19th - December 11th, we will be accepting applications to our Annual Diversity Scholarship from candidates who are ready to take control of their own destiny. This scholarship will cover the full cost of tuition, textbook, and tutoring for our Full Stack Web Development Program. Applicants must be ready to enroll in class beginning in January, and commit to completing the entire 32-week program. Applicants can choose to attend classes at either our Capital Factory Campus (January 14th) or our Highland Campus (January 27th).
The recipient of the scholarship will enroll into Austin Coding Academy’s 32-week Full Stack Web Development Program, beginning on either January 14th or 27th, 2020. Upon completion of the program, the awardee will take our 4-week Job Placement course, that gives graduates the necessary tools to land their first role. Austin Coding Academy is committed to helping our students make the transition into tech and put their newfound skills to work. In this course, students will learn how to construct a resume, cultivate their web presence, approach the interview process with confidence, and more.
We’re looking for candidates who have grit, determination and who are interested in pursuing a career in tech -- no coding or tech background is required. To apply, please read all of the details below and then submit your application.
The Diversity Scholarship application is 2 pages long and consists of a couple of short answer questions and a short “open-book” coding assignment. After you finish the application, you will be asked to schedule a phone interview with one of our admissions representatives. To be considered for the Diversity Scholarship, your application must be submitted by Wednesday, December 11th
During your scheduled phone interview an Austin Coding Academy admissions representative will review your application, answer any questions you may have about the program or scholarship process, give you information about our program, and get to know your goals with learning to code. To be considered for the Diversity Scholarship, your phone interview must be completed by Thursday, December 12th.
3 Finalists for the Diversity Scholarship will be announced on Friday, December 13th. Finalists will be required to be available to attend an in-person interview on the evening on Tuesday, December 17th. An independent panel will select the finalist who will receive the Diversity Scholarship, to be applied to Austin Coding Academy’s Full Stack Web Development Program.
- Tuesday, November 19th: Applications Open
- Wednesday, December 11th: Application Deadline
- Thursday, December 12th: Phone Interview Deadline
- Friday, December 13th: 3 Finalists Will Be Notified
- Tuesday, December 17th: Final In-Person Interview
- Wednesday, December 18th: Scholarship Recipient Announced
- January 14th or January 27th: Scholarship Recipient Begins Class
- Read through all portions of this page thoroughly
- Submit the Diversity Scholarship Application by Wednesday, December 11th
- Complete a 15-minute phone interview with an Austin Coding Academy admissions representative by Thursday, December 12th
- Be available to interview with the independent Diversity Scholarship Committee on Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2019
- Be prepared to enroll in Austin Coding Academy’s Full Stack Web Development Program, beginning:
- January 14th @ Austin Coding Academy - Capital Factory
- January 27th @ Austin Coding Academy - Highland
- January 27th @ Austin Coding Academy - Highland
- Meet in-person attendance requirements for Austin Coding Academy classes, as regulated by the Texas Workforce Commission
- Intend to complete a full web development track at Austin Coding Academy within a year - note that if you drop a class, you’ll be charged for the portion of the class you completed
- Intend to pursue a career in technology upon graduating from Austin Coding Academy
- Engage in the promotion of future Austin Coding Academy Diversity initiatives and be willing to volunteer to bring technical education to diverse communities
- Preference given to students who have shown a commitment to groups that are underrepresented in technology
- Preference given to students with financial need
- The recipient will be selected by a Selection Committee of 5-7 distinguished and independent individuals in the field of technology. The deliberations of the Selection Committee will be confidential and independent of Austin Coding Academy