Tech’s Diversity Problem
The current makeup of the tech industry fails to represent the cultural makeup and trends of Dallas, Texas and the United States as a whole. Our world is becoming more diverse by the day, and as tech plays an increasingly important role in shaping it, the tech workforce should represent this shift. Circle Coding Academy is committed to a diverse and representative tech workforce for the future.
Implications for the Future
The tech industry is instrumental in driving changes in our everyday life – from social networking, to smart homes and cars, to creating solutions to the biggest challenges we face in society. A tech workforce that truly represents how diverse we are, makes sure that all perspectives are considered in the solutions that we create.
What We’re Doing to Help
Since being founded in 2014, Circle Coding Academy has maintained a commitment to accessibility and affordability. Our Diversity Scholarship is another effort to make sure that we are promoting accessibility and diversity in tech, by making our transformative education available to even more well-qualified candidates.
The Diversity Scholarship application consists of some basic information, a couple of short answer questions, and a short “open-book” coding assignment designed to test your resourcefulness. After you finish the application, you will be asked to schedule a phone interview with one of our admissions representatives. To be considered for the Diversity Scholarship, your application must be submitted by March 31st.
During your scheduled phone interview a Circle Coding Academy admissions representative will discuss your application, answer any questions you may have about the program or scholarship process, outline the Circle Coding Academy program, and generally get to know you and your goals. To be considered for the Diversity Scholarship, your phone interview must be completed by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, March 31st.
The recipient of the scholarship will be announced on April 2nd, and all applicants will be notified of the final decision. Once the scholarship has been awarded, the awardee will need to confirm that they are accepting the scholarship and complete their enrollment paperwork as soon as possible so that they can begin class on April 13th.
- Read through all portions of this page thoroughly
- Submit the Diversity Scholarship Application by March 31st, 2020
- Complete a 15-minute phone interview with an Circle Coding Academy admissions representative by Tuesday, March 31st
- Be available to interview with the independent Diversity Scholarship Committee on Monday, April 13th at CENTRL Office Dallas Downtown
- Meet in-person attendance requirements for Circle Coding Academy classes, as regulated by the Texas Workforce Commission
- Intend to complete a full web development track at Circle Coding Academy within a year
- Note that if you drop a class, you’ll be charged for the portion of the class you completed
- Intend to pursue a career in technology upon graduating from Circle Coding Academy
- Engage in the promotion of future Circle Coding Academy Diversity initiatives and be willing to volunteer to bring technical education to diverse communities
- Preference given to students who have shown a commitment to groups that are underrepresented in technology
- Preference given to students with financial need